Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MORE WISE TEACHINGS WITHOUT RELIGION

We know that the white man does not understand our ways. One portion of the land is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs. The earth is not his brother, but his enemy - and when he has conquered it, he moves on. He leaves his fathers' graves, and his children’s birthright is forgotten.

The Indian prefers the soft sound of the wind darting over the face of the pond, the smell of the wind itself cleansed by a midday rain, or scented with pinon pine. The air is precious to the red man, for all things are the same breath - the animals, the trees, the man.

The whites, too, shall pass - perhaps sooner than other tribes. Continue to contaminate your own bed, and you might suffocate in your own waste.

Today is fair. Tomorrow may be overcast with clouds. My words are like the stars that never change.

We are part of the earth and the earth is part of us. The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.
- Chief Seattle (Sealth), statesman, philosopher, born 1786 CE

I do not recognize castes and races. I behold only one humanity. I am working for mankind.Keep undiminished kindness toward all beings and also the spirit of self-sacrifice. Kindle the light in yourself, then kindle it in others. Like spreading light by lightning one candle from another all around a room, so we should spread love from heart to heart.
- Haidakhan Babaji, yogi, born twentieth century CE(or immortal) (Hindu)

Therefore, perform righteous actions, for action is better than inaction; being idle, one cannot support even one’s own body.
- Krishna, prince, born 3228 BCE (founder of Hinduism)

O servant, where dost thou seek Me? Lo! I am beside thee. I am neither in temple nor in mosque: I am neither in Kaaba nor in Kailash: Neither am I in rites and ceremonies, nor in Yoga and renunciation. If thou art a true seeker, thou shalt at once see Me: thou shalt meet Me in a moment of time. Kabîr says, "O Sadhu! God is the breath of all breath.
(From “Songs of Kabir,” translated by Rbindranath Tagore)
- Kabir (Kabīra) weaver, reformer, born 1398 CE (Hindu, Muslim, Bhakti)

I am neither Christian nor Jew, neither Zoroastrian nor Muslim, I am not from east or west, not from land or sea, not from the shafts of nature nor from the spheres of the firmament, not of the earth, not of water, not of air, not of fire. I am not from the highest heaven, not from this world, not from existence, not from being. I am not from India, not from China, not from Bulgar, not from Saqsin, not from the realm of the two Iraqs, not from the land of Khurasan I am not from the world, not from beyond, not from heaven and not from hell. I am not from Adam, not from Eve, not from paradise and not from Ridwan.

I searched for God among the Christians and on the Cross and therein I found Him not.
I went into the ancient temples of idolatry; no trace of Him was there. I entered the mountain cave of Hira and then went as far as Qandhar but God I found not. With set purpose I fared to the summit of Mount Caucasus and found there only 'anqa's habitation. Then I directed my search to the Kaaba, the resort of old and young; God was not there even. Turning to philosophy I inquired about him from ibn Sina but found Him not within his range. I fared then to the scene of the Prophet's experience of a great divine manifestation only a "two bow-lengths' distance from him" but God was not there even in that exalted court. Finally, I looked into my own heart and there I saw Him; He was nowhere else.
- Rumi (Mawlānā Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Balkhī aka Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī), poet, mystic, born 1207 CE (Sunni Muslim)

Yes I am [a Hindu]. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew.
- Ghandi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) lawyer, reformer, born 1869 CE (Hindu)

Shall I not inform you of a better act than fasting, alms, and prayers? Making peace between one another: enmity and malice tear up heavenly rewards by the roots.
- Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullāh, shepherd, reformer, born 570 CE (founder of Islam)

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.
- LAO TSE (Laozi), Keeper of Archives, hermit, born 570 BCE (founder of Taoism)

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., minister and reformer, born 1929 CE (Baptist)


Immortality can be reached only by continuous acts of kindness; Perfection is accomplished by compassion and charity. That which is most needed is a loving heart!
- Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama), prince, reformer, born 420-563 BC (founder of Buddhism)

As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence.
What is serving God? Tis doing Good to Man.
- Benjamin Franklin, statesman, inventor, born 1704 CE (no professed religion)

1 comment:

Darshan Chande said...

Excellent title given to the article and fine collection of quotes. I feel tempted to copy paste all your collected quotes on my disc.